Tuesday, March 13, 2012

They're Just Kids...

Since my last post, I've had two different people indicate that perhaps I was a little harsh in my words towards the individual who wrote on the bathroom stall. Their reason? This person is a high schooler; despite how wrong their comments were, they don't know any better, yet. Their brain isn't fully developed, so even though they are wrong (and each person who questioned me agreed that the behavior was wrong), I shouldn't judge them so harshly because kids do stupid things at that age. I was even encouraged to think of the mean and ridiculous things I said or believed at that age. And they're right, I did say and do stupid and probably hateful things at that age.

But here is what I have to say in response to this question: how will we change the minds of kids, and teach them that the things they are saying and doing are indeed wrong, if no one is willing to say it?

For the record, I don't think this is "kids being kids". This is systematic thinking that is being passed down throughout the generations. My husband later told me that he saw an additional two swastikas drawn in the school; a larger one on another bathroom stall wall and one drawn on a blood drive flyer outside of the teacher's lounge. This additional information prompted me to write the school and ask that they take efforts to take down these symbols, especially if they intend to host community events where kids will be present, and will probably be using the restrooms (this was a military family readiness academy, hosted by the National Guard for the families of soldiers coming home from overseas).

I agree that a person's brain takes a long time to develop; some say it may not be fully formed until the age of 25. But I do not believe that it means that kids can't be taught the values of what is good, right, and kind. Here is an example of a kid who gets it:



Kids have enormous influence in the lives of each other, as evidenced by the new wave of teens committing suicides for being bullied, specifically as it relates to their sexual orientation. My hope is that we can become a people, and a world, that learns to love our neighbors, no matter who they are and what they believe. To be a people who pour love into all people, despite our differences.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Bravo! First for speaking out and also for writing to the school. The behavior shown by the kids is learned. Whether it's from parents, tv, or social media, some where they learned racism. Its up to parents, teachers, and others to reteach messages of love and acceptance. I hope you write more in the future! You're definitely an inspiring writer!